Spring's Changes

South Carolina is known for its beautiful Spring season. If one can navigate through the haze of yellow pollen, the spectacular blossoms, and variegated green leaves are a marvelous wonder.  This year blossoms are already popping and trees are budding, signaling an early Spring. These changes are welcomed as the parks call to the children and the bikes make their way out of the garage. Truly, it's a lovely season for a change. 

Big changes are happening at Well Nested!

Meredith Wentzle, our amazing IBCLC, has outgrown our office space and moved to her new location at 319 Garlington Road, Suite D9, Greenville. Meredith will continue to see Simpsonville clients at the Well Nested office, just simply make an appointment.

Karla is continuing her education, in order to better serve our local mothers. She is pursuing a Bachelors degree in the Science of Midwifery. This program is academically and clinically intense, which will require a great deal of her time and effort over the next 4 years. Looking ahead, Karla plans to incorporate midwifery services to our community doula program, Well Born. Well Nested is very excited about adding midwifery services, in the future! You can follow Karla as she journeys through midwifery studies. She will be posting regularly under the Midwifery category of our blog and I know she will appreciate your encouraging words and prayers!

Another exciting addition: Therapeutic Yoga Classes! Becky Watson with Peach Blossom Yoga Therapy will be starting classes this April. We know that this class will be wonderful for our post-partum mothers! For more information and scheduling, contact Becky through her website here: http://www.beckywatsonyoga.com/

Well Nested is changing, come grow with us!




Quiet Support

  The last weeks of pregnancy can be tough. Many of you know this stage well and some of you are in this seemingly never-ending phase right now. It's full of last-minute decisions, lingering questions, and a constant fight with fear and doubt. Is this ever going to happen? What if I can't do it? Maybe today? How long will this last? Am I strong enough?

  When clients go through this, I find that a strong dose of encouragement is in order. Often text messages are sent, phone calls are made, and hugs are given. Positive words help, but sometimes what the mommas really need is a good ear. Someone to listen to their concerns, a little empathy, and understanding. 

   As a mother of 6, I fully understand the challenges of listening! Around my house, there is a ton of, "Mom, did you hear me?" So, one of my New Year's resolutions is to become a better listener. To actively listen, rather than daydream about folded laundry or a night away in a Scotish Castle, is an admirable goal.  This goal has to become a habit and in order for that to happen, I must diligently practice. Thankfully, God has seen fit to provide me with many opportunities, between doula clients and children(several of which happen to be teenage girls), to hone my listening skills.

  In an effort to keep things simple and easy to reference, I often make lists or quotes for the fridge. I posted several resources on the Well Nested Pinterest board.  I know that we are all busy, cup-full people, but maybe we need to slow down a bit, take the time to listen to others, and learn the art of quiet support.


Baby Louis Arrives

I just wanted to tell you that we had a healthy baby boy last Monday. He was 2 weeks early but completely healthy and doing great. He wasn't too big either, like I was worried about. He was 6 pounds 12 ounces and 20" long. His name is Louis. He is doing great, nursing well, mostly a happy baby, and absolutely adorable.

You asked us to share our birth story so here goes...

On Saturday, I lost my mucus plug. So Monday before heading to the gym, I called Linda to make sure it was okay to work out, she said it was. After about 10 minutes into my workout I felt a pop and a small amount of fluid! So we decided to stop the work out and I headed home. I was convinced that it was not yet my birthing time because I wasn't ready. I still had tons of stuff to get ready for him and Daddy was in the DC area working, so I chilled on the couch hoping the waves would stop. But they never did. My water broke at the gym around 11:30am and I left to go the birth center around 6pm. My Hypnobabies training was very helpful, I'm not sure I used it exactly as intended, but it definitely helped me relax through the waves. My doula drove me to the birth center. I was an 8 when I arrived and immediately got into the tub where I stayed until he was born a few minutes after 9pm. I'm not entirely certain, since time is fuzzy but I think I pushed for about an hour. Everything went well. No problems, very little bleeding, just a tiny tear. All in all I could not have asked for a better birthing time, except for maybe having my partner there. Since I was in denial about my birthing time, he did not leave in time to make it. He drove all night and arrived around 4 am, by which time Louis and I were both curled up happily in bed at home.

 So that's the story, I think your class was very helpful. I appreciate all the information and personal experiences that you shared with us.

Robin's Birth

I wanted to thank you for the wonderful classes and share with you my birth story!

When I was about 34-35 Weeks pregnant Michael got called out to Wyoming to work a job that wasn't suppose to end until December 2nd.

I went to bed Thursday October 20th feeling completely normal after having dinner with my parents. I was going to be 39 weeks that friday but I hadn't let Elizabeth check me for dilation because I was going off of the "purple line theory" and I had gone to bed that night believing I was probably a 5 or 6, but still not feeling anything. Anyways, I woke up at 1am feeling like I was having a bad period and needed to go to the bathroom, yet I knew something was different because my legs wouldn't stop shaking. I texted Michael and said "I don't feel good but idk if I'm in labor, I'll call you shortly if I think you need to get a flight home...btw I think I hear coyotes outside." (its 11pm where he's at). At this point I cant go back to bed, so I make my way downstairs and call my mom. I told her to come over, that I wasn't feeling well, and next I called Katelyn [midwifery student] (who seemed oddly chipper and awake for the hour!). She asked if she needed to head over and I said not yet but she told me to call and inform Elizabeth [midwife], which I did. My mom showed up around 2, and told me to call Katelyn back and get her over there, so I did. While Katelyn was on her way, I called Michael and had my mom talk to him because it was getting pretty difficult at that point. While she was on the phone with Michael, helping him figure out a flight and route home, I puked..lost my plug...and my water broke. At this point Katelyn showed up and my doula Addie was on her way. Katelyn and my mother started working on the birth pool as I stayed in the bathroom. As soon as Addie showed up, I moved back to the living room and started my Hypnobabies track. But I immediately felt like I needed to push. Katelyn was setting everything up and talking to Elizabeth telling her to hurry as I continued to push. Next someone called Ashlie, my birth photographer. Once Elizabeth got there the birth pool was ready but too hot so I continued to push as everyone dumped cold water and ice in the pool until I could finally get in. Once I was in, Ashlie showed up and the baby's head was close to coming out. Hypnobabies was playing in the background and I was getting great rest and relaxation in between pushes. Michael called while going through the airport security line to check in on things and give me well wishes. Right after hanging up, the baby was born! ITS A BOY, Sawyer Glenn Bates at 7:36 am. My mom quickly called Michael and he had just boarded the plane and was thrilled to hear his baby cry but didn't want to know the gender! Although his first words were "that sounds like a baby Sawyer cry!" (he had a feeling it was a boy the whole time) Sawyer weighed 7lbs 10oz and was 21inches long. Michael arrived in Greenville at 1:30 and my brother picked him up, he was so excited he seriously considered leaving his checked bag because he didn't want to wait on it! He got to spend a week with us before heading back, during that week I was on bedrest due to a small tear, so Michael did EVERYTHING. He was great and loved soaking up all the time with his son that he could. Sawyer breastfeeds like a champ and weighed 9lbs 2oz at his 2 week appointment!

Thank you again!!

-Robyn, Michael, & Sawyer Bates